Thursday, March 16, 2006


A Dwelling Place for God in the Spirit.

I shared my holy dissatisfaction yesterday, a feeling of constantly looking to the horizon, and was tremendously encouraged to know that I wasn't alone - but further more, a valued reader and friend - Sheila from the USA, put her finger on it. We want to pray with Moses; "Show me Your glory!". That's it! And I can think of no where else, no where better, no where higher that we can potentially view the glory of God than in worship.

So this post is going to be a short compilation of thoughts, quotes and two songs that seem to me to intensely prove what I am hungering after. That if worship is our highest calling - then it just could be that through worship we stand the best chance of encountering "Him whom our souls desire". (And yes that comes from Song of Solomon!).

Terry Virgo said; "Worship is our highest calling. God is seeking worshippers, so converts must become worshippers". There are many articles and blogs and sermons on worship, but I've noticed few of them touch on the "Encounter" aspect that Terry achieved in his. That is what I am hungering after! He wrote; "Times of singing in the Spirit can be breathtaking and can be the prelude to the breakout of gifts, of sung prophecies, sung tongues, sung interpretations, all kinds of wealth of spiritual worship" but note this!

"As we behold His glory we are being changed. That's the power of worship. We go from encounter to delight, to transformation and as we behold His glory we are being changed into His likeness ... If you experience God enough youare going to be changed". And this plea - that is becoming quite characteristic of Terry, yet thrillingly fits in with my "Unsatisfied" cry - "Don't settle for anything less. Don't simply settle for a few songs. Worship is your highest calling ... let your heart be inflamed, let the Holy Spirit draw near for heartfelt fellowship".

Don't settle for anything less! I want to highlight a song that my friend Jul left in the comments section of my last post. It is beautiful and deserves to be read and used.

I am thirsty lifting up desperate hands
Only one thing I'm asking for
Let me touch your majesty
Even if it be the end of me
I must know you
Show me your glory
Even if I never breath again
I want to see your face
Even if I never live to see another day

I am failing falling down to my knees
Holy Spirit please meet me here
Nothing here has worth to me
I would leave it all to walk with you
I must know you
Show me your glory
Even if I never breath again
I want to see your face
Even if I never live to see another day
Until my face shines with the light of knowing you
I will not be satisfied...

There are many other songs of passion and intimacy that are simply beautiful and allow us through them to draw near to the Throne of Grace. One of my favourites was beautifully presented and led by Kate Simmonds at Stoneleigh Bible Week 1998 - "Draw Me Close to You".

Draw me close to You
Never let me go
I lay it all down again,
To hear You say that I'm your friend.
You are my desire,
Noone else will do,
cause nothing else can take Your place,
To feel the warmth of Your embrace,
Help me find the way - bring me back to You.

You're all I want.
You're all I've ever needed.
You're all I want.
Help me know You are near.

I realise in all of this that there is a danger of excess - of swinging too far and becoming chummy with God. But do you know what? I really don't think that is our greatest danger at present. Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones said it too - if we were in danger of Corinthianism then yes, we should take careful notice of "Let everything be done decently and in order". But my heart's ache is that we haven't even begun to plumb the depths of intimacy and passion and encounter with God. And if worship, as Terry said, truly is our highest calling - then we had better start taking it seriously.

Article Reference List of this website available here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those old pix of Stoneleigh!! Wow they bring back happy memories!! And yes I think you have a valid point, that intimacy could indeed be the forgotten aspect to worship.