Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Continuity/Discontinuity

Hey all. I got an email suggesting that I was toning down in my writings and getting less controversial, so wouldn't want to disappoint ... here's an email forward I got that I quite liked. We don't and wouldn't agree with the spirit of it ... but there is a very valid point that is something to do with a discussion between me and http://www.lukewood.blogspot.com. It's about biblical authority. I've just had yet another *sigh* email accusing me of not being "biblical". Well what IS biblical??! Who decides "biblical"!?!? Lets be consistent in our apologetics and not be guilty of twisting the Scripture to suit our own comfort zone. Enjoy and be challenged ...

The next time that you hear someone condemn homosexuality, abortion, contraception or anything else on the grounds that 'it is against God's Law as laid down in the Bible', try asking them the following:

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev, 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to the Scottish but not the Welsh. Can you clarify? Why can't I own the Welsh?

e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states that he should be put to death. Am I morally obliged to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abonimation (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree - can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit to wearing reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressed forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play rugby if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev 24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws (Lev 20:14)?

No comments: