Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Kate Simmonds leading Worship at CCK!

What a thrilling way to end a night shift! I was just idly flicking through my favourite links and my heart almost stopped when I saw that Kate Simmonds will be leading worship this Sunday morning at Church of Christ the King in Brighton! As Luke and I have both mentioned and mourned, Kate will be leaving the shores of the UK to go to join the Newfrontiers work in Australia and the Pacific Rim - so time is running out!

Guttingly I won't be able to go - my church in Bristol is planting into the Malverns (that's near Birmingham in the West Midlands) and we are having a BBQ to get to know the guys who are pioneering this exciting mission! So I can't get to Brighton this Sunday ... but if anyone else is in the area then do go! And let me know all the details!

Speaking of my church - last Sunday was an absolutely extrodinary time with God. He was powerfully present in the prophetic and we really encountered Him, being powerfully led by my friend Jamie. When the elder, Chris, who was preaching announced his text and topic I must confess my heart sank a little. He was preaching from 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 which is of course Paul's church discipline over those who were sinning morally in the church. So he dealt a lot with church discipline which is a slightly sensitive subject for me. However I was hugely encouraged by the things that he said. He taught us that "being put out to Satan" is indeed the absolute last resort that comes only after much prayer, pleading and counsel and should never be done quickly and in anger. But also it is an expression of love - and care for the sinner's soul. He emphasised the fact that our church and Newfrontiers do indeed believe in church discipline where called for.

It's well worth listening to! But listen to it in tandem with this AWESOME sermon by Joel Virgo, preached last Sunday at CCK - "Love Covers A Multitude of Sins". They complement each other amazingly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh your church in Bristol must indeed be something very special if it is keeping you away from CCK and the wonderful Kate Simmonds!! I do remember days not long ago when nothing - not even the Apocolypse - would have kept you away from a time of worship under her anointed leadership!!

Dr S A J BURGESS