Monday, May 14, 2007

Can You Trust Me?

I remain very stirred by a quote that Jesse Phillips posted on his blog from Brent Detweiler;

"This is what we need and this is what we can experience in our day. God, may we see the book of Acts rewritten at the end of the age!”

Yet I don't know about anyone else, but I constantly find my heart switching from faith to fear. I hope so passionately that God will come and move upon our nation in power as I dreamt. But I was walking and praying this week and I heard the still, quiet voice of the Spirit point out that He didn't actually put an impending date on that dream. He went on to ask whether I could allow myself to trust His sovereignity. And here I found myself in the "Charismatic Calvinist" dilemma! Trusting God and His sovereignity - yet "giving Him no rest until Zion is made a praise in the earth".

How do we get the balance right?

I have just transcribed what I think is an God-send article by Bob Mumford called; "When the Heavens Turn to Brass". Once again it shows the sheer value of the New Wine articles that were produced in the late 70's and early 80's. They addressed issues which we are still facing in the church today. He began by echoing the "earnest desire" that Jesse writes of, but notes that so often God is reluctant to use us because of our maturity or lack of. Here's a few quotes;

"The same thing happens in the realm of the Spirit. I say, “God I want that which belongs to me. I want the anointing. I want the power. I want the authority. Lay it on me!”. He says, “Son if I do, its going to get you into trouble”. And I say, “Just try me. Go ahead”. He does and I get into trouble. Proverbs 20:21 says, “An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning, but in the end thereof shall not be blessed”. That is what happened to the prodigal son".

"God is a Father. He knows better than to give us things we can’t protect, which is why His provisions are given to us as promises; Salvation is a promise, healing is a promise, baptism in the Holy Spirit is a promise, deliverance is a promise, financial provision is a promise. 2 Peter 1:4 says we are given “exceeding and great precious promises”. By the time we have the faith to claim the promise, we should have the maturity to protect it’s provision".

I have a holy dread that I will miss out on promises that God has got lined up for me because I won't learn the lessons He wants me to. Let us run away from the charismatic fatalism and the functional cessationism that has characterised too many so-called "Reformed Charismatics" of our day - but let us pursue the greater anointing and power that God longs to pour out on His Church by being responsible sons and daughters - above all hungry and desperate for Him and His Presence!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! Let it be so! FYI, I linked to you on my blog as one of my favorite sites. I love what you are doing here!

Dan Bowen said...

Thanks so much! I'm moving house at the moment, but as soon as I am set up and established I will link you too!!

It's so exciting to come across fellow like-minded lovers of Christ hungry for more of the Spirit of God!!

Heavenly blessings upon you!