Two events prompted this blog and even now I am not quite sure how it is going to turn out. I've just returned from the cinema with Scottie having absolutely LOVED seeing the film "Jumper" for the 2nd time. The first time I was taken aback with the absolute speed and thrill of the film. This evening I was shaking under the power of God seeing the thrilling (and disturbing) paralells between what happened in the film and in the Christian life today. But I am jumping ahead of myself. Before I explain what happened in the film briefly (for those who haven't seen it) while I was transcribing Rob Rufus's latest sermon; "Invading the Impossible - Part 8" - he made this very prophetic statement;
"If the Holy Spirit is not allowed to have control of the church, then man takes control of the church and the biggest leverage man has to control the church is the law - legalism - controls people to behave by putting rules and regulations and then kicking them out and punishing them if they don't line up with the taboos and laws and rules".
So "Jumper" (terminology here). Essentially there are normal people, there are "Jumpers" (Hayden Christenson) and there are "Paladin" (Samuel L Jackson). "Jumpers" can teleport anywhere in the world that they have either been before or seen a photo of. "Paladin" are (in the words of Jumper Jamie Bell) "religious nutters whose one sole purpose ... kill Jumpers". But what grabbed my attention was something Samuel L Jackson's character said during the film when he had Hayden Christenson captured. He said;
"Only GOD should have this power!".
Scottie and I were discussing what exactly would happen and how certain Christians groups would react if God pours out His Spirit in power on the earth and we do indeed see a resurgence of signs, wonders and miracles in the earth - as many of us are hoping for and praying for - rooted in the absolute grace of God. No ... panic not, I don't think God is going to enable Christians to begin to teleport ... although of course there is Acts 8:39 and Ezekiel 3:14 ...
But what is our expectation for signs, wonders and miracles? How high have we set the barrier of expectation? For as Julian Adams said; "Our expectation is God's invitation". I found some of the signs, wonders and miracles in the Bible. And as I read them, I kept hearing Samuel L Jackson in my mind; "Only God should have this power". Oh really?! Then why did GOD use PEOPLE to do what He did in the Word of God? As you read these miracles - ask yourself whether you can consider a future where you - the Church founded and basking in the grace of God
1. The miracle increasing of food - 1 Kings 17:9-16
2. The miracle raising of the dead - 1 Kings 17:17-24, 2 Kings 4:18-37, Matthew 9:18, 19, 23-26, Mark 5:22-24, 35-43; 49-56, John 11:1-46, Acts 9:40
3. The miracle coming of rain to barren wastelands - 1 Kings 18:41-45
4. The miracle healing of the sick from fatal diseases (AIDS, Cancer) - 2 Kings 5:1-19
5. The miracle blinding of an evil army and the restoration of their sight - 2 Kings 6:18
6. The miracle raising of dead when they touch our bones - 2 Kings 13:21
7. The miracle healing of "All" who come - Matthew 4:24, Mark 6:56, Luke 4:40
8. The miracle delivering of demons - Mark 1:21-27; Luke 4:33-36
9. The miracle restoring of withered limbs - Matthew 12:9-13; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:6-11
10. The miracle defying of nature's laws - Matthew 14:22-33; Mark 6:45-52; John 6:16-21, John 2:1-11, Matthew 14:22-23; Mark 6:45-52; John 6:16-21, Matthew 21:18-22; Mark 11:12-14, 20-25, Luke 5:1-11
11. The miracle feeding of the hungry - Matthew 14:1-21; Mark 6:35-44; Luke 9:12-17; John 6:5-15
12. The miracle escaping from prisons - Acts 5:19-23
13. The miracle transference of power via objects - Acts 19:11-12; 28:8, 9
How much of these examples from the Word of God are we seeing already? There's so much more that we should be expecting! As Rob Rufus's word made clear - should we really be so shocked at gold dust or at oil on hands? We are operating at a Level 2 anointing but we need to be saturating ourselves in the grace of God to see any more! As Rob said;
"The question is not will Jesus Christ have a glorious Church - the question is who will He use?".
Anyone want to join me in "jumping" - even if the "Paladins" will do their utmost to ensure that no human being operates in any spiritual power whatsoever and Christianity stays safely an academic, philosphical religion? Frankly - I am ready to take the risk!